Distance Learning is giving an instruction by a mode other than the conventional face-to-face method characterised by physical separation between the teacher and learner, instruction delivered through a variety of media including print, and other information communication technologies to learners.
Basic amongst the reasons for establishing the DLI are to:
1. respond to the university’s mission and contribute to the Human Resource Development of the immediate Communities;
2. embark on the development of human resource of Nigeria by opening/widening access to higher education to thousands of applicants who would otherwise not gain admission through the normal full-time, face-to-face campus bound provisions;
3. deploy its highly qualified and abundant capacity and capability to provide instruction and learning facilities to meet an unmet demand for university education;
4. obey the call by the Federal Government through the outcome of the Presidential Retreat on Higher Education in Nigeria of November, 2017 for Universities and other higher Institutions of learning to undertake conscious actions of providing qualitative access to the teeming Nigerians wanting to acquire University education; and
5. provide an answer to the need to re-orient Nigerians towards entrepreneurial-based courses and programmes which will point them towards the right direction of self-employment in a bid to reduce unemployment, underemployment and poverty currently plaguing the country.